7 in 10 US consumers now carrying chip cards
Visa is calling 2015 “a watershed year” in the U.S. migration to chip cards.
According to the latest figures from the network, there are now more chip cards in the U.S. than in any other country.
Visa offered the following stats for chip card growth in the U.S.:
- more than 212 million Visa chip cards have been issued in the U.S., an increase of 644 percent in the last year alone;
- the number of chip-activated merchant locations more than tripled in the second half of 2015 to 766,000 — an 872 percent increase year over year;
- chip transactions grew more than 30 percent in December to a total of $15.8 billion compared with $12.1 billion in November;
- seven out of 10 Americans now have at least one chip card in their wallet; and
- about 93 percent of consumers are now aware that the U.S. is migrating to chip cards.