FINANCIAL SERVICES WEEK AHEAD JANUARY 6 to JANUARY 10
U.S. House of Representatives
House Committee Activity
Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce
Hearing: Americans at Risk: Manipulation and Deception in the Digital Age
Wednesday, January 8, 10:30 AM
2123 Rayburn HOB
Monika Bickert, Head of Product Policy and Counterterrorism, Facebook
Joan Donovan, Ph.D., Research Director of the Technology and Social Change Project, Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics, and Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School
Tristan Harris, Executive Director, Center for Humane Technology
Justin (Gus) Hurwitz, Associate Professor of Law, Director of the NU Governance and Technology Center, University of Nebraska College of Law, Director of Law & Economics Programs, International Center for Law & Economics
Oversight and Reform
Hearing: Reaching Hard-to-Count Communities in the 2020 Census
Thursday, January 9, 10:00 AM
2154 Rayburn HOB
- NOTICE [PDF]
Transportation and Infrastructure
House Floor Activity
Legislation Considered Pursuant to a Rule:
H.R. 535 PFAS Action Act of 2019 [PDF] This legislation would require that the Environmental Protection Agency designate PFAS (perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances) as hazardous within a year of enactment, bar manufacturing of new PFAS, establish criteria regarding drinking water, and authorize related funds.
Legislation Considered Under Suspension of the Rules:
Energy and Commerce, Foreign Affairs, and Small Business legislation is expected on the floor.
List of Suspensions:
- H.R. 5078 Prison to Proprietorship Act, as amended [PDF]
- H.R. 5065 Prison to Proprietorship for Formerly Incarcerated Act [PDF]
- H.R. 5130 Capturing All Small Businesses Act of 2019 [PDF]
- H.R. 5146 Unlocking Opportunities for Small Businesses Act of 2019, as amended [PDF]
- H.Res. 575 Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that all stakeholders in the deployment of 5G communications infrastructure should carefully consider and adhere to the recommendations of “The Prague Proposals”, as amended [PDF]
- H.R. 2881 Secure 5G and Beyond Act of 2020, as amended [PDF]
- H.R. 4500 Promoting United States Wireless Leadership Act of 2019, as amended [PDF]
- H.R. 3763 Promoting United States International Leadership in 5G Act of 2019, as amended [PDF]
Senate Committee Activity
Business meeting to consider H.R.5430, to implement the Agreement between the United States of America, the United Mexican States, and Canada attached as an Annex to the Protocol Replacing the North American Free Trade Agreement
Tuesday, January 7, 9:30 AM
More information available here.
Senate Floor Activity
The Senate stands adjourned until 3:00pm on Monday, January 6, 2020.
Following Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #555, Jovita Carranza, of Illinois, to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration.
At 5:30pm, the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Carranza nomination.
5:30pm on Monday, January 6th – 1 roll call vote:
- Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #555, Jovita Carranza, of Illinois, to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration.